Deaf & Hard-of-Hearing Services
Perspectives Corporation is now hiring a Career Developer to work in our Deaf & Hard-of-Hearing Services department.
The Career Developer assists individuals with choosing, preparing for, obtaining and maintaining employment. More specifically, the Career Developer works directly with individuals to discuss options and goals, develop and maintain relationships with the Office of Rehabilitation Services, the Division of Developmental Disabilities, employers and other community members, locate barriers to employment and work with individuals to develop strategies for overcoming these barriers, hold or locate meetings and workshops to develop work skills, facilitate assessments and evaluations, role model for direct support professionals, maintain close contact with individuals during job training and placement(s) to resolve problems and evaluate placement adequacy and prepares and maintain records and reports by monitoring and documenting progress. The Career Developer is also responsible for promoting a positive image of Perspectives Corporation while creating job opportunities for individuals by researching, identifying and soliciting commitments from possible sources of employment. The Career Developer initiates and cultivates employer relationships through various marketing means. This position requires extensive business development activity, including telephone sourcing and face to face meetings.
Participating in agency activities, serving on committees, and communicating the agency’s values and principles to others; coordinating and monitoring effective clinical supports and developing effective multidisciplinary teams; providing training and mentoring to new and existing employees; writing reports/updates on programming; caregiver contact.
In addition to a creative and collaborative work environment, Perspectives offers a generous benefits package that includes:
- Flexible schedules
- Paid training and mentor programs
- Employee incentive programs
- Generous paid time off
- Verizon, AAA and health club discounts
- Medical and dental benefits
- 401k savings plan
- Post high school education or certificate in a social services, business or related field or equivalent experience
- Three years of demonstrating excellence in providing supported employment for individuals with special healthcare needs and individuals who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing (DHOH) with special healthcare needs
- Strong communication skills
- Strong documentation skills, both written and in a computer database
- Ability to establish rapport and relate sensitively to employers, individuals and their caregivers
- Excellent attention to detail and follow-through
- High energy & motivation to help individuals succeed
- The ability to work autonomously and in collaboration with others
- Valid driver’s license, favorable driving record and insured vehicle
- Proficient in American Sign Language (ASL).
- Awareness of and sensitivity to Deaf/Hard of Hearing (DHOH) culture.
Deaf & Hard-of-Hearing Specialty
- Demonstrates necessary American Sign Language (ASL) skills, cultural sensitivity, and awareness.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively communicate in ASL.
- Participates in agency’s ASL internal assessment process or other evaluation of ASL Skills (e.g., American Sign Language Proficiency Interview, Interpreter Certification, etc.).
- Adheres to plan for improvement with ASL skills when applicable.
- Attends and actively participates in trainings, classes, and meetings offered by the agency’s ASL Program and/or DHOH Department.
- Demonstrates sensitivity and support of Deaf Culture.
- Promotes necessary steps for full language accessibility in all settings and environments.
- Demonstrates skill and knowledge of assistive equipment, technology, and other resources for promoting accessibility.
- Demonstrates an understanding of working with an ASL Interpreter and recognizing situations and circumstances when one is needed.
- Model, mentor, and support others learning ASL and Deaf Culture within the agency.
- A College Degree or certificate in a human services field or equivalent experience
- Success in marketing and/or sales of service environment
- Three years of experience in job development and placement